NRM Logo
About | News | Galleries | Collection | Our Equipment | Events | Contact | Links | Volunteer

Niagara Railway Museum Blog

July 26, 2020

Switching around Equipment

On Saturday, July 25th, we decided to take the opportunity to reposition some equipment, and while doing so, bring all 4 locomotives outside for some pictures. This is the first time that all 4 have been outside, and the first time both Hydro Electric Power Commission locomotives, 1918 electric E-7, and 1920 steam locomotive 46. 6 of our members were out to make all of this happen, so thanks to Neil, Mike, Adrian, Rick, Ken and Ken.

Part of this move was also to get ready for the arrival of our wood boarding car, TH&B X-759. We are still working on the logistics of this move, and will have more information on the move soon.  We also hope to be able to still have our annual RailDays event in September, and will be following the current situation in the Region closely.

E7 was first out for the day.
The GE has just pulled the Plymouth and HEPC 46 outside.
HEPC E7 and HEPC 46 together outside.
Head on view of all 4 locomotives from the sand tower.
Overall yard view from the north sand tower.
The final pic of all 4 locomotives outside.

July 16, 2020

TH&B X-759

The Niagara Railway Museum Inc. is pleased to announce that we have acquired one of the rarest, if not the rarest, railcars from the Toronto Hamilton & Buffalo Railway. X-759 has been in private ownership for decades, and was recently donated to the Museum.

X-759 was built by National Steel Car in December 1913 as wood boxcar #3775. It was renumbered to 3105 in 1941. It was assigned to MOW Service as the Carpenters boarding car, numbered X-759 by 1947, and retired and sold to Equipment Broker S.G. Paikin in June 1979. It was moved to Welland for scrapping, but was saved from the torch by a local businessman who had an interest in the railway. He moved it to his farm, where he intended to rebuild it into a pool house. However, (thankfully) this never happened, and the car has retained the majority of its original interior.

In December the Museum approached the family to see if they would be interested in donating the car for preservation. After 7 months, the family informed us that the car was ours. We are now working on the logistics of the move and have started fundraising to help with the cost of the move to the Museum site. If you can help the Museum with this great project, donations can be made securely online by visiting:

https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/niagara-railway-museum-inc/

All donations over $25 are eligible for a Charitable tax receipt. We are pleased to have X-759 added to the collection, and it joins another TH&B car in the shop, the last gondola #2676.

TH&B X-759 out of service.
©2010 NRM