NRM Header Image
About | News | Galleries | Collection | Our Equipment | Events | Contact | Links | Volunteer

Gallery - Canadian National

1 2 Next
ImageImage
CN SD40 5031 sits out front of the heavy repair bay at Fort Erie.c-1980's - Brad Markowsky - NRM CollectionCN transfer vans await their next assignment at Merritton. These cars were built by CN Point St. Charles shops between 1977-1980 and originally numbered 210. THe majority were scrapped, with 3 remaining on the CN roster as engineering cars.c-1980's - Brad Markowsky - NRM Collection
ImageImage
CN GP40-2LW #9535 heads up a freight with 3 other units across Bridge 10 in Thorold. Brige 10 was part of the CN Thorold Subdivision, and this train would be heading Westbound. It will soon head down the Thorold hill and onto the CN Grimsby Sub at Merritton.c-1980s - Brad Markowsky - NRM CollectionCN S-2 #8116 was built by ALCo in August 1947 as #7950. It was renumbered to 8116 in 1956 and scrapped in the mid 1970's.July 1968 - NRM Collection
ImageImage
Canadian National RDC-3 #6350 is on track 2 at the Niagara Falls railway station on Bridge St. Sitting on track one would be LNER 4-6-0 #4472, the "Flying Scotsman", whose tail car is visible beside the RDC's. The Flying Scotsman was on a North American tour at the time.October 1970 - Ken Kreamer - Niagara Railway Museum CollectionCNR U-2-g 4-8-4 Northern, #6211 is ready for service at the Fort Erie, Ont water tower. 6211 was built by Montreal Locomotive Works in 1942. July 1959 - T.C. Cherry - Niagara Railway Museum Collection
ImageImage
CN S-3 #8476 (class MS-7b) sits on the dead line at the Fort Erie diesel shop. 8476 was built by the Montreal Locomotive Works in the early 1950s, and was retired in 1972. Note the Norfolk & Western F unit to the left of the 8476.March 24, 1973 - NRM CollectionCanadian National P-4-a 0-8-0 #8431 takes on water on the service track at the Niagara Falls roundhouse. 8431 was built in August 1920 by Canadian Locomotive Company in Kingston, and scrapped in August 1961.1958 - Ted Cherry - NRM Collection
ImageImage
Despite what looks like a fresh coat of paint, or a recent scrub down, CNR 0-8-0 #8297 sits stored on the dead line at Fort Erie.April 20, 1958 - Ted Cherry - NRM CollectionRS-18 (MLW-c1957) #3722 & sister 3709 are tied up on the shop track at CNR's Victoria Ave. Yard in Niagara Falls.April 10, 1975 - NRM Collection
ImageImage
Fantrip on Bullet Nose Betty, CN 4-8-2 6060, in the mid 70's from Niagara Falls, Ontario to Hamilton, Ontario. 1970's - Niagara Railway Museum CollectionCN RDC-1 6120 at CN's Niagara Falls, Ontario station. In the background is CN 4-8-2 Bullet Nose Betty waiting to haul railfans on a mid-70's fantrip. Taken when the photographer was only 15 yrs old.1970's - Niagara Railway Museum Inc. Collection
ImageImage
CN RDC-1 #6119 (blt July 1957 as CN D303)is waiting for the return trip to Toronto, at the Niagara Falls Station on Bridge St. The Empire Tavern can be seen in the backround. In 3 yrs time, #6119 would become VIA #6119.July 5, 1976 - NRM CollectionCNR U-1-f Mountain #6068 (MLW, 1944), U-2-g Northern #6205 (MLW, 1942), SW-9 #7003 (EMD, 1952) and Wabash F7 #1162 are all shown near the CNR Niagara Falls roundhouse in July 1958.July 1958 - NRM Collection
ImageImage
CNR SW1200RS's (class GR-12f, built 1956) #1229, #1239 and #1237 were just a few months old when this photograph was taken near the coaling tower at the Niagara Falls, ON yard.

#1237 was rebuilt in 1987 at Pointe St Charles shops into SW1200RM #7107 (class GS-413b). The SW1200RM, was known as a "Sweep" for it's unique combination of switcher chassis and cab and GP7 body. August 30th, 1956 - Niagara Railway Museum Collection
CNR U-2-c Northern #6141 (MLW, 1929) poses outside of the Niagara Falls, ON CNR roundhouse.July 30th, 1954 - Niagara Railway Museum Collection
ImageImage
CNR N-1-b Consolidation #2432 (Canadian Foundries, 1914) is seen shoving its train down the northbound track of the Thorold Subdivision towards Merritton, ON.

The 4th Welland Canal is located about 200 feet to the right of the locomotive.

The caboose has just passed under the bridge carrying the NS&T Main Line to Niagara Falls, ON. The train is passing over the turnout for the spur which served the Niagara District Warehouse and Forwarding Company which was located on the west wall of the Welland Canal. On the hill to the left of the picture, a boxcar can be seen spotted at the NS&T freight shed.July 30th, 1954 - Niagara Railway Museum Collection
Canadian National U-2-c Northern #6143 (MLW, 1929) sits by the roundhouse in Niagara Falls, ON while sister #6141 takes a ride on the turntable. July 30th, 1954 - Niagara Railway Museum Collection
ImageImage
F-units were becoming rare on the CN's freights trains in Southern, Ontario by the late 1980's. Here we see F-7 9164, the third unit of a westbound freight doing a drop and a lift at Merritton, Ontario on the morning of June 22, 1988. The lead unit is CN GP-40-2 9620, with GTW 6423 sandwiched in between.June 28, 1988 - A. W. PankoSperry Rail Service #119 is seen here inspecting the CN Thorold Subdivision just south of the Welland Canal's Lock 7, in Thorold, Ontario at 8:00 am on March 22, 1982. This is the steepest main line grade on the CN system. March 22, 1982 - A. W. Panko
ImageImage
At 11 a.m., CN GP-9s 4561 and 4528 lead a 9400 series GP-40-2, as train 432 westbound to Windsor, crosses over to the eastbound main ('south track') at Merritton, Ontario, on a very cold December 3, 1980.December 3, 1980 - A. W. PankoCNR N-1-c Consolidation #2446 switches cars in Niagara Falls. Note the conductor standing on the foot board on the tender of the locomotive. Also note the interlocking control rodding (for the switches the locomotive is sitting upon) running on wooden blocks at the bottom of the photograph.July 4th, 1945 - Niagara Railway Museum Collection
ImageImage
CNR U-3-g Northern #6226 awaits her next assignment with a tender full of coal at the CNR Niagara Falls roundhouse.June 20th, 1953 - Niagara Railway Museum CollectionIn the early morning of November 26, 2006, a CN freight heads upgrade past Firemans Park, lead by SD75I #5785. The train will soon be at Clifton, and the junction to the Stamford Sub., where it will continue on to Buffalo.November 26, 2006 - David A. Torbett
Image
As part of the 1980 National Railway Historical Society Convention in Toronto, CN ran 6060 on an excursion to Niagara Falls. This unique shot, taken by Jim Herron, shows CN 6060 through an open door of the Niagara Falls VIA Station on Bridge St.September 1980 - Jim Herron

1 2 Next
©2021 NRM