Gallery - Conrail
Conrail began operations on April 1st, 1976.
Conrail consisted of all of the lines from the Penn Central Railway as well as six other bankrupt railroad companies, all of which primarily operated in the northeastern US.
In February, 1976, the US Government passed into law the "Railroad Revitalization and Regulatory Reform Act of 1976", which provided the necessary funding to revitalize the deteriorating freight railway lines, equipment and rolling stock of the seven railways.
In 1998, Conrail itself was split between the Norfolk Southern Railway and CSX Transportation.
In Niagara Falls, Conrail was the operator on the former Canada Southern lines to Detroit, which it had assumed with the overtaking of the Penn Central Railway. In Niagara Falls, these lines included the former New York Central Montrose Yard facilities, as well as the branch to Chippawa.
For more information:
Wikipedia article on Conrail
1 2 3 Next
Conductor Doug Melore is on the end of Conrail GP9 #7438 as it heads a short train down the Chippewa branch.1980's - Niagara Railway Museum CollectionTrain WQST-2 is shown leaving Montrose Yard in Niagara Falls with #7439 leading sister unit #7437 and pulling 86 cars and van.18:20 December 22nd, 1981 - Helmut Ostermann Photograph - NRM Collection
The Chippawa local is seen switching at Norton Industries in Chippawa with GP9 #7438. Norton manufactures abrasive materials, such as grinding wheels and sanding discs.December 22, 1981 - Helmut Ostermann Photo - NRM CollectionConrail GP9 #7439 (ex-NYC 6039, blt GMDD 1957) leads Conrail GP7 #5825 (ex-C&O #5727, blt GMDD 1951), as they bring their train into Canada from Niagara Falls New York. August 18, 1977 - NRM Collection
1 2 3 Next