Gallery - Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo
The following is from the TH&B Railway Historical Society website (www.thbrailway.ca):
"The Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Railway (TH&B) existed from 1892 through 1987 as a separate railway serving the Hamilton, Ontario area. It joined the lines of its corporate parents, the Canadian Pacific Railway and the New York Central system. It was established largely as an alternate route for the businesses in the Hamilton area to ship their products to Canadian customers in Toronto, Montreal, and the west and to American customers via the New York Central and its subsidiaries.
The TH&B was jointly owned after July 1895 by the CPR and NYC (and its successor, Penn Central) until 1977, when CP Rail bought the remaining shares and became full owner of the railway. The TH&B was integrated into the operations of its parent in 1987, losing its distinct identity as a separate railway."
TH&B van 81 is at Welland, Ont. Built in 1973, 80-83 were similar to the CP vans built at the Angus shops. 81 was scrapped between 1993-1995. c-1980's - Brad Markowsky - NRM CollectionTH&B caboose 71 at Montrose Yard, likely waiting for its next assignment, or being used as a boarding car.c-1960s - NRM Collection
TH&B caboose 69 is being used as a boarding car at Montrose Yard in Niagara Falls.c-1970'2 - NRM CollectionTH&B cabooses #61 ("Tight Grip, Safe Trip") and #63 ("Hold Tight Till Footing's Right") are seen at the Conrail Montrose Yard. They are being utilized as bunk cars in this shot.May, 1977 - NRM Collection
TH&B Carpenters Boarding car X-759 is seen prior to being sent for scrap. In 1979 this car, originally built as a wood boxcar #3775 in 1913, it was converted to work service by 1947. Saved from scrap by Ken Robbins in Fenwick, the car now resides at the Niagara Railway Museum.c-1978 - NRM CollectionSW9 #58 awaits it's time with the torch at Atlas Steel in Welland.Summer 1988 - Brad Markowsky - NRM Collection
NW2 #52, its name and logo painted out, being stripped of usable parts before being scrapped at Welland.Summer 1988 - Brad Markowsky - NRM CollectionNo longer needed, a line of TH&B SW switchers await the torch at Atlas Steel in Welland.Summer 1988 - Brad Markowsky - NRM Collection
TH&B GP9 #403 (with 73) at Welland.c-1985 - Brad Markowsky - NRM CollectionTH&B GP7 #73 at Welland.c-1985 - Brad Markowsky - NRM Collection
TH&B 73 receives its orders from the operator at Welland Junction.Niagara Railway Museum CollectionTH&B GP7 #77 and 2 sister units are seen drifting downhill towards the bridge to the United States. The train is operating over former Canada Southern trackage, which at this point was being operated by the Penn Central railroad.
June 1971 - Ken Kraemer - Niagara Railway Museum Collection
TH&B GP7 #72 is seen at the top of Clifton Hill, while switching the Nabisco plant.July 7th, 1965 - Bob Rathke - Niagara Railway Museum CollectionToronto Hamilton & Buffalo 4-6-2 #16 is seen on a picnic train at the MCRR Victoria Park Station (top of Clifton Hill).August 16th, 1947 - Sirman Collection
TH&B 2-8-4 Berkshire #201 is shown crossing Montrose Rd. eastbound into Montrose Yard.June 21st, 1953 - Niagara Railway Museum Collection