NRM Logo
About | News | Galleries | Collection | Our Equipment | Events | Contact | Links | Volunteer

Niagara Railway Museum Blog

November 30, 2015

2015 Continues to be a Great Year

move1

Loaded up and ready to head to the shop.

truck

At the Museum, lining up the trailer for unloading.

It is with great pleasure that the Niagara Railway Museum presents our newest acquisition, a 1948 built GE 25ton diesel locomotive.  We are very happy to have had this item donated to the Museum from the owners of the former BF Goodrich plant near Thorold.  The locomotive was moved to the site on November 30th by PGM Rail Services of Niagara Falls.

Because the locomotive is in operating condition, it made it an easy move for loading and unloading.  We were able to drive it onto the trailer (with some help from a winch) and very easily drive it off at the shop.

move4

Lining up the trailer, getting ready to unchain and unload the locomotive.

move3

Our first official “train” as the GE is used to move the boxcar down a couple of car lengths.

This was an historic occasion. While we have had the Plymouth diesel fired up inside the shop, it is not in operating condition and didn’t move under its own power. The GE is the first locomotive since the late 80’s to operate in and out of the shop. We express our thanks to the owners of the former BF Goodrich plant, Chris G for getting the ball rolling, Edward L for making this all happen, and to PGM Rail Services in Niagara Falls for sending a great crew to move the locomotive.

A video of the move can be viewed here: Moving the GE Diesel

The official photograph of the new locomotive outside the Niagara Railway Museum Inc. in Fort Erie.

The official photograph of the new locomotive outside the Niagara Railway Museum Inc. in Fort Erie.

 

©2010 NRM